The last days it has become obvious that my out or sending command is unclear. With Becca and Iza it hasn’t been a problem, as Becca can stay on a straight line for as long she remember the line (that might be half a second and some times two 😝) as she relies too much on sight. Iza worked 97% ish on scents so you just waited for her nose to start focusing in the right direction and then she was off.
With Hagel it hasn’t been that obvious, but with Hylsa it has become more and more clear. She is all of a sudden not steady right before I send.
And it’s all to do with her becoming more and more smooth in heeling and my pelvis more and more aching.
So I have had to take it down to following steps:
1. Sit in sitting position on my left side and reward
2. Take a step back with the left leg (the dog will follow with backing) to a new sitting (she has tried everything here from backing, to jump or stand) new reward. I have to do this as my sacroiliac joint on the left side aches too much, so my left leg can’t be used for sending a dog off on.
3. Higher my right hand in a straight line in the direction of the goal (reward when sitting, then add looking at my hand, then add looking in the direction of the goal)
4. Backing my hand towards the dog (signalling get ready) reward
5. Sending the dog of with a flick in the right direction and out to the goal and reward (I have to click on the start, than later on on speed and later on in the fetching of a dummy when the dog is sure about what to do and gaining speed.
Step 4-5 was added after someone shooting and wounding a bird while getting the dog ready for send off. Then I could choose either to send off on the first or redirect and send for the wounded bird. And I can prepare a send off earlier and withhold it if necessary.
This is how I spend my Tuesday mornings, dissecting every move I make 😝🙈🙈🙈😅
Well all of us write here, both humans and dogs ;) At least that was the plan but it seems it´s mostly me Robyn who´s attached to the keyboard...